Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Open Window

So for my Editorial Illustration I had to do three illustrations for a short story of my choosing. I chose the story "The Open Window" written by Saki. It was quite an interesting piece and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. In my comp sketches however my professor informed me that my drawings were not historically correct in sync with the story hahah Soooo he put me on to this short film that was based on the story for reference. It captured the essence of the story quite well I think, you can take a look at it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBXb-8YoR0E

I had alot of fun working on these pieces. I applied what I learnt in my electronic illustration class with the Zombie painting to this assignment. He outlined where each piece will be if it were featured in a magazine so I was dealing with:
1. Table of contents image full color small scale
2. Story image full page full color
3. Story image small scale in grayscale

This is the Table of contents image. Basically sets the mood of the story without really giving away any characters or plot.


This is the full page image to go along with the story. From here on these images will only really make sense if you've read the story or seen the short film I posted.


This is the small scale grayscale image, basically its the last moment in the story.


Just for kicks and giggles This was my reference pic for the Grayscale image lol :p

1 comment:

  1. I am an education professor at the University of Virginia and am exploring ways to make this story more accessible to adolescents. May I have your permission to include the illustration of Framton and the girl in an experimental tablet version of the story? (With full acknowledgement, of course.) Thanks for considering!
    Michael McKenna

    ReplyDelete